Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Big Bird: Jumbo Chicken, Spinach, and Herb Burgers with Mushrooms and Swiss

These burgers are huge. Gigantic. I could barely finish one, and I forgot to buy spinach so they could have been even larger. They were, however, quite tasty and something I am planning on making again.

I think the spinach in the burgers would help to make them less dense. Chicken doesn't have a lot of fat so it's easy to pack down, and when you do, the fat won't cook away leaving a lighter structure as it does with beef. Rachael says this serves 4, I say make 6 normal sized patties, maybe even 8. Because of my inexperience making patties, I made them a little higher than they should have been and they were a real mouthful to eat. My mushrooms came out fantastic and they were a great addition to the recipe. I would suggest tossing in some onions with them to caramelize.

This recipe clocked in at 35 minutes. Without the prep it would have been 30 min, and my ginormous burgers took a longer time to cook. I think this one is possible to make in under 30 minutes. The burgers themselves were super easy to put together, I 'd even suggest doing so ahead of time. Ground chicken doesn't grill well because of the lack of fat, so stick with a frying pan.


PS- ignore the strewn clothes in the background, waiting to be put away in my closet (moving in)

No comments: